Do you want your business to project a more professional image and provide an even better service for your clients? Whatever your line of business, I can make sure that your written output is clear and accurate, for example in:
- Online presence: websites, blog posts
- Marketing material: advertisements, brochures
- Reporting and policy documents: annual reports, business proposals, employee policies
- Customer reference: catalogues, price lists
- Communications: newsletters, template letters and emails
Why should my business hire a professional editor or proofreader?
Simple errors can distract the reader, create an unprofessional appearance, or even change the meaning of what you are trying to say. Spelling and grammar checking tools are helpful but they don’t pick up everything.
Writing that does not follow a logical order can be frustrating and confusing, and makes it hard work for your customers or colleagues to find out what they need to know. Having a fresh perspective can highlight areas that might be unclear to people reading your text for the first time.
Having clear and accurate products will enhance the message you are delivering and help improve customer engagement.
If you are already carrying out this role in-house, it could be more cost effective to hire a freelancer as and when needed, allowing employees to stay focused on other tasks.
My business would benefit from editing or proofreading – what should I do?
1. Congratulate yourself on making a great decision! Then email or phone me, or complete the contact form.
Tell me the type of documents you would like to have reviewed, what stage they are at, what your timescales are, any budget you are working to, and whether you already have a style guide to apply.
2. I explain options and we decide how I can add most value, for example I can:
- Spot errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and word usage.
- Check the general layout and sequence to make sure that different elements are combined in an order and style that is most effective and most clearly gets your message across.
- Suggest alternative wording or phrasing to improve the impact or flow of the text.
- Check compliance with house style. If you don’t already have one, I can create one for you.
- Check design elements such as pagination and spacing.
3. You email me your documents – pdf or Microsoft Office formats are best.
4. I mark up suggestions or make changes (depending on your preferred approach). I then return your amended documents with an updated style sheet and a note of any issues you might need to consider.
5. You are good to go – publish, upload, or send with confidence!
Do you have fixed rates for businesses?
For smaller jobs or for an ongoing service (e.g. checking monthly reports), I charge a £25 booking fee plus competitive hourly rate:
Proofreading @ £27/hr
Copyediting @ £32/hr
Substantive editing @ £37/hr
For longer form items (e.g. brochures or annual reports) I can quote a job price on request, starting at £10/1000 words.