Do you want your business or organisation to project a more professional image and provide an even better service for your clients? Perhaps you already turn out polished copy but are looking to outsource those final checks. Whatever your area of operation, I can make sure that your written output is clear and accurate, for example in:
- Online presence: websites, blog posts
- Marketing material: advertisements, brochures, case studies
- Reporting and policy documents: annual reports, business proposals, employee policies
- Customer reference: catalogues, price lists
- Communications: newsletters, template letters and emails
Why should my business or organisation hire a professional editor or proofreader?
Simple errors can distract the reader, create an unprofessional appearance, or even change the meaning of what you are trying to say. Spelling and grammar checking tools are helpful but they don’t pick up everything. A professional editor or proofreader will check you are using the right words, grammar, and punctuation, and that you have a consistent style for a seamless and professional look.
Writing that does not follow a logical order can be frustrating and confusing, and makes it hard work for your customers or colleagues to find out what they need to know. Having a fresh perspective can highlight areas that might be unclear to people reading your text for the first time.
Having clear and accurate products will enhance the message you are delivering and help improve engagement.
If you are already carrying out this role in-house, it could be more cost effective to hire a freelancer as and when needed, allowing employees to stay focused on other tasks.
My business or organisation would benefit from editing or proofreading – what should I do?
1. Congratulate yourself on making a great decision! Then email or phone me, or complete the contact form.
Tell me about your project. Useful information includes: the type of documents you would like to have reviewed; what stage they are at; what your timescales are; any budget you are working to; and whether you already have a style guide to apply.
2. I explain options and we decide how I can add most value, for example I can:
- Spot errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and word usage.
- Check the general layout and sequence to make sure that different elements are combined in an order and style that is most effective and most clearly gets your message across.
- Suggest alternative wording or phrasing to improve the impact or flow of the text.
- Check compliance with house style. If you don’t already have one, I can create one for you.
- Check design elements such as pagination and spacing.
3. You email me your documents – pdf or Microsoft Office formats are best.
4. I mark up suggestions or make changes (depending on your preferred approach). I then return your amended documents with an updated style sheet and a note of any issues you might need to consider. You can ask me about anything I have changed or suggested that you don’t understand or are unsure about.
5. You accept or reject the changes – the final decision is yours. And then you are good to go – publish, upload, or send with confidence!
Do you have fixed rates for businesses?
For smaller jobs or for an ongoing service (e.g. checking monthly reports), I charge a £25 booking fee plus competitive rate:
- Proofreading @ £10 per 1000 words
- Copyediting @ £12 per 1000 words
- Substantive editing @ £30 per 1000 words
For longer form items (e.g. brochures or annual reports) I can quote a discounted job price on request.
© 2017-2021 Amanda Anstee